Monday, September 27, 2010

Wellcome to Montana!!

  I first moved to United States as a foreign exchange student and I was 16 years old. I moved to the state of Montana. Montana was the first state in America for me to ever visit. I wasn't familiar with the American culture. I didn't know a lot about American holidays, American food and American way of dressing. Eventhough I encountered a lot of cultural differences I am a strong beliver that every culure is unique and beatiful in its own way.
On my first day of High School as a foreign ecxhange I was very excited. I wanted to look good and make an imresson. I wore a nice shirt, a pair of nice pants and a pair of high hill shoes. The school was very small and everyone knew each other. I walked in the hollway and everyone was looking at me. And I was looking at them too. I realized a few minutes later that they were staring at my high hill shoes and I was staring at few students that were wearing pajams and flip flops. I was shocked to see that students in that high school were allowed to wear pajamas. The rest of the students were shocked to see that I was wearing high hills. One thing I realized , people in that community cared more about being confortable than looking good. After a few months I joined them too.  I stared wearing flip flops too. They were shocked to see me change and adobt to their way of dressing. In a cute and funny way some of my friends used to call me "the flip flop European girl". I refused to wear pajams on regular school days, but I did wear my pajams on the pajama day. I loved my experience there and I also staret too love the way everyone used to dress. Comfortable was the magic word.

5 comments:

  1. I think it's pretty interesting that some "professional" students in college still wear their pajamas to class. My high school changed to uniforms since we were apparently too immature to dress responsibly. It must have been a drastic change relocating to Montana. Did you think of Amercia as a bunch of cowboys?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very drastic change relocating to Montana..It took me a while to understand their way of dressing and to adobt even a little bit to their style..And you are absoulutely right my first image of Americans was a bunch of cobowys and cowgirls who loved to wear boots even on a nice weather, but of course my image started to change when I stared to visit the metropolitan areas. It was a nice experience, just a little to hard to engage into their style 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a place to go out of all the states in america, Montana. i think that here is a big difference between small town america way of dress and city. i have lots of family in the middle of no where kansas and thier way of dress is very similar and comfortable. i think its becasue once you know everyone there is really no one to impress.
    but when you like in the city you never know who you will see or how important one interaction might be so everyone trys and look better. i know thats not totaly true but i feel uncomfortable leaving the house for long periods of time in sweat pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true of American's. "We" tend to be pretty lazy. I remember throughout high school there were kids who would wear the same thing every day. How did you end up in Montana of all places, and why did you decide to come to NYC?

    You definitely won't be out of place wearing high heels here! Especially at Baruch, home of the high-heeled wearing Europeans haha!

    Isn't Montana one of the largest states in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to Montana wasnt' much of my choice. I was selected to go there. I didn't do a lot of research before I got there eather. Eventhough I can't deny the fact that I had a great experience. And yes Montana is one of the largest states in United States. It's great for skiing and winter sports too.
    As far as moving to New York it's because I had friends and family and a lot of collage opportunities. And so I decided to come to Baruch which I can also call " The high heel college".

    ReplyDelete